CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Lime Soup with Tortilla Strips and Chicken

I got this reicpe off of Studio 5. We had it tonight and I really liked it.

Ingredients:
• 1 cup plus 2 Tbl olive oil
• 1 6-inch corn tortillas cut into strips
• 6 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
• 2 Tbl minced fresh cilantro
• 1 Tbl minced fresh oregano
• 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
• ½ tsp ground cumin
• 1-2 Tbl fresh lime juice
• 1 skinless boneless chicken breast half, thinly sliced crosswise
• ½ cup chopped seeded tomato
• ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
• ½ cup chopped white onion
• 6 limes

Method:

1. Heat 1 cup oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, add tortilla strips; fry until golden, about 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels; drain.
2. Mix broth and next 4 ingredients in large saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes. Add lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
3. Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 Tbl oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet; sauté 3 minutes. Add tomato, bell pepper and onion. Saute until chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes longer.
4. Place 1 lime slice in each of 6 bowls. Ladle soup over. Mound tortilla strips and chicken mixture in center of each.


[ To make Recipe a little healthier ]

Note from Laura: I do not fry my corn tortillas. I let everyone rip there own fresh tortilla into their bowl - I love the flavor! I also like to add 1 (14-ounce) can drained and rinsed black beans to soup; and I leave out the tomatoes. Plus I reverse the order of instructions. I start with sautéing the chicken, peppers (I use red or green) and onion, and then I add the broth and seasonings right into the same pot. Then I ladle all of the ingredients into the each bowl and serve with the lime slice and tortillas on the side. Delicious!

I also added carrot and celery slices to the soup.

0 comments: